Please note this article was first published in 23 Jun 2010. Its content may now be out of date. We recommend taking a look at more recent website building blog posts or check out our comprehensive support pages. If you are looking for information on our 14 day free website builder trial we have a large number of webpages that guide you throug the process.
Getting traffic to a business website is every website builder’s priority. Once you have plenty of visitors clicking through your pages, your content can go to work in encouraging a good response from visitors and of course as many sales and orders as possible. Your Reason8 Website is an expert at SEO and picks out top keywords from the content you place on your pages. It also works together with the information you provide in Step 1 of your website control panel.
There may be times when you want to manipulate your website’s SEO processes and possibly alter your keywords to suit your business. For instance if you launch new products or services and put this information on your website, you should make sure that the keywords for any developments are visible to the search engines.
1. Know your market geographically and be sure that your website address or domain has the correct TLD or Top Level Domain. These are the letters, which complete your domain such as .com or .net. If your business mainly operates in the UK and targets only UK customers then your best tld would be .uk. It’s also best to have your domain hosted on UK based servers, which of course DotGO website’s are.
2. Include your top keywords within your Domain name. For instance – the best domain for a “builder in Berkshire” would be www.buildingservicesberkshire.co.uk or www.builder-berkshire.co.uk. The hyphen won’t affect the domains SEO performance and makes the address easier to read. Avoid going for a domain with all your keywords though. You should really just stick to the very top one, two or at the most three keywords. A domain such as www.buildingserviceswindowsdoors-conservatoriesbrickwork-extensionsberkshire.co.uk could actually work against you. If you do use hyphens, try to stick to just one .
3. There are some great keyword researching tools available, which can help you decide on the best keywords for your website content. The most popular ones are Google AdWords and Wordtracker. Take advantage of these tools as getting your keywords just right is vital.
4. When putting your on page website content together, try to create as much information about your products and services as possible and then divide it into bite size chunks. Splitting your information into clear sections is easier for both your visitors and for Search Engines. This will also make it far easier when it comes to building a great navigation system around your website.
5. Make sure your website navigation is clear and simple. Not only good for search engines, its well worth playing around with navigation and page links for your website as providing a clear road through your website will encourage visitors to come further in and will ultimately guide them to the response areas. Once you’ve set out your information into clear sections, use your main Keywords as headers for them. Putting your keywords into a heading tag format (H1, H2, H3) makes them very visible to search engines.
6. Do some market research, ask your customers and even compare with competitors to help you decide on your top keywords. Try to pinpoint 5 primary ones. This will then help you to decide on secondary keywords, which should be closely related to your primary keywords. These Keywords should then be used both within your page content and in Part 5 of Step 1 in your control panel.
7. It may even be worth re-writing some of your page content once you’ve pinpointed your main keywords to make sure that they’re included. Create some new paragraphs, which feature your top keywords and ensure that your keywords are set in highly visible formats, such as bold, italic, heading tags and hyperlinks. Make sure your keywords are all featured within your keywords list, which you can find by clicking the Google icons next to each page in Step 3.
8. Try to aim for web pages with clear structure
Set out your keyword rich content in a way, which makes it as simple as possible for search engines to see everything they need to. Structure is great for your visitors too. You need to cater for both here and structure will help you to do this. Each page should include keyword rich headings - the top heading being in an H1 tag, and subsequent keyword rich headings in H2 and H3 working down the page.
9. Add an introduction paragraph on each page featuring at least 4 or 5 keywords or key phrases, again relevant to the page content.
10. External Links to your Home page.
Create an external link from your primary pages to your domain from a short keyword rich summary of that page. Insert Link > Webpage > External Webpage > enter your domain.
Don’t forget to check out all the other tutorials we’ve provide on Search Engine Optimisation.
Please remember, this article was first published 23/06/2010. The content may be out of date and you cannot post comments any more. Please check out our new blog.
We have been in business since 2003. Back when the founders of Facebook were still in college, we were writing code and helping our users create great websites.
If you need help, why not check out our huge selection of videos, step-by-step guides and knowledge papers.
We have helped many thousands of our customers create great looking websites. Take a look at a few examples, created using our website builder.
These days, websites without background videos run the risk of appearing old-fashioned. Even dinosaurish,
There’s nothing wrong with dinosaurs, or with looking like one. Dinosaurs are cool. Unless they’re chasing you of course.
But our new background videos have landed, exploded and changed the game. They have wiped out the old standards for beautiful websites, and have replaced them with a new standard that will leave all other websites looking like fossils.
Luckily, both our existing clients and our new ones have access to this brilliant new feature we’ve introduced, and we’d like to share its benefits with you today.
A superhero is only super because he or she stands out amongst the crowd. If we were a planet of flying, teleporting, time-freezing super-strong aliens, then we wouldn’t think there was anything super about us. When it comes to using formatting methods such as bold, italics, capitals or centering, all of these little text-enhancing superheroes will only stand out if they are used sparingly, in the right place, and when absolutely necessary…
Reviews, testimonials, recommendations – we all seek reassurance in them. We might even skip past the good ones just to see if there are any bad ones.Other people are sources of information for us. They can tell us whether this product or service is actually any good or not. Reading their testimonials builds trust in your business.
If I have multiple domain names, will my website rank better on the search engines? Will I be more likely to draw in extra traffic? Will my website become a supercharged powerhouse bursting with domain names that will become a magnet for new business? The answer might not be quite as positive as you would expect, but hopefully we can answer your questions during this article…
Choosing a domain name for your new business may not be as simple as you think. Most people just use their company name, but unless your branding is well recognised, this may work against you…
Is it possible for your business website to look too good? Too polished? Too slick? Too posh?
Perhaps it depends on how slick and posh you already are.
“If a customer fills out a form and adds their email address, what can I do with it?” This is a terrible question, asked by non-GDPR compliant cavemen and cavewoman who still think it’s OK to treat other people’s info as if it’s their own…
You are building a GDPR-friendly email list, and now you want to start sending out newsletters, the professional way. Where do you start?
“Don’t sell your product. Solve their problems.” Mark Cuban’s wise words sum up the art of selling – it is about helping people, fixing problems and improving the lives of others…
iF we’re honest, not many people will accuse you of clownery for not having a proper business email address. But they might not call you professional either…
Building a professional website to grow your business should be easy and seamless from start to end. We offer to build your business website for you, in four easy steps…
When July 2018 hits, Google Chrome will make sure a strong warning will pop up on any website that has not yet updated from “http” to “https”. The warning will include something along the lines of “Website Not Secure”. Here’s how to avoid it.
We are the DotGO: where everything is included and everything is managed for you, all at no extra cost.
We design websites to grow your business and wow your customers.
We are a UK company filled with passionate website designers and clever writers.
Friendly, professional and fast customer service is at the heart of everything we do. Our designers and unique technology make your website quick, responsive and secure, giving you the best chance of ranking well on Google.
If you need a shop, our own powerful ecommerce platform integrates beautifully. We train you to use our simple tools to update your website yourself. Our UK support team are on hand to provide sensible support and advice whenever you need it. We even power your professional email service, so you stay in contact with your customers by phone, tablet or computer.
Oh, and the best bit? It's cheaper than you may think, and we can get started right now.